Friday, November 13, 2009

The Soundtrack to Our Lives.

Nothing is more revealing, emotionally driving, inspiring and mood altering than the music we fill our lives with. As we face the trials and tribulations of life we often turn to the art of music and song to aid us on our journey.

I can't imagine what life would be like without music. My greatest fear is that I would lose my ability to hear the sweat sounds of a string quartet. The boisterous brass of a Sousa piece. But music is so much more than just sound and rhythm. It is the emotion we see in a soprano when she cries out in an aria by Puccini. Or the rhythmic movements of a drummer as he pounds out a solo. I imagine my appreciation for these examples would carry me through a loss of hearing. Beethoven continued to compose after becoming completely deaf which means the music is always there, even when the ears are unable to receive it.

My life's soundtrack would consist of an ever changing eclectic mix of everything from Gregorian chant to hip hop. Classical arias and heart wrenching ballads. The music that I turned to in sadness to help me ride out the natural emotion. And the joyous symphony in which my heart was aided in celebrating.

I am always seeking a new musical genre to explore. If I were to be defined by my music collection I would pose a challenge to those who tried to define me. Different music for different moods. But always music. It is the art to which I have the most passionate affection. I have grown and learned through music. From my first 45 of Bert and Ernie singing "Rubber Ducky" to Beyonce`s spiritual "Halo" with a slew of Boccherini opuses and Rodgers and Hammerstien overtures filling in the gaps. My eyes fill with tears every time I hear the "Star Spangled Banner" or Shubert's "Ave Maria". And just try pulling me away from a piano sing-a-long.

It is music that soothes our wounded soul. That comforts us when we feel heartache. That aids us in the pursuit of love. And empowers us to achieve. As you travel down the road of life and stop to smell the roses, don't forge to listen to the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment