Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Long Walk with Mom

Recently, as we helped Dad go through the many boxes of things Mom saved along her journey, I came across one of the many of my childhood memories that she had lovingly packed away.

When I started kindergarten in 1973, it was a transition during a difficult time for my family. The previous January we had suddenly lost my 11 year old brother. The following months were filled with a silence that was broken by sudden tears, impatient anger and whispers. While the older kids were off to school, I had a habit of taking my toys and playing behind the sofa or in a closet. I didn't want to bother my Mom, who seemed to just sit and stare off into space. Dad had work to throw himself into, the older kids had school. During the silence of the school day, Mom and me had each other. In the spring of '73 Mom noticed my withdrawal. She started taking me for long walks. We would walk to the local Hardee's for lunch. Or to the novelty store where she would buy me a book that she would read to me. I can only guess what went through her head during that most difficult time in her life, but I do know that those long walks were therapy for both of us.

Over the summer things seemed to get back to normal at our house. There were other kids for me to play with. Laughter crept back into our home. The announcement that another baby was on the way gave us all something to look forward to. Then school started up again. And I didn't want to go. I cried that first day and didn't want to go for sometime. One day I even walked back home after getting half way there. I am sure Mom talked to my teacher because she seemed to always try to say a few words to me personally each morning to try to make me feel more comfortable. Then one day we learned about silhouettes. My teacher, Mrs. Sickle told us we were going to make one of ourselves and be able to give them to our Moms as a special keepsake. It seemed to take forever to sit for mine, but when it was done I couldn't wait to give it to my Mom.

I'll never forget Mom's reaction to my gift. I saw a big smile on her face. I think I missed Mom's smile because that was the first time I had seen it in a while. As with many other things to come, she said "I am going to put this away."
Then she showed me a silhouette done of her when she was young. Many homemade gifts would fill Mom's drawer and be stashed away in boxes.

Now that Mom is gone and we downsize the amount of things Dad has to transfer to the new house, the many things Mom saved are coming back to us. Of all the notes, cards and drawings she saved, this little silhouette means the most. It represents the time I made my Mom smile. I framed it and put it on my wall as a reminder of the long walks. Of the time we helped each other on our journey out of the silence and toward smiles and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment