Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Father to Emulate

I seem to get all of the sensible things I pray for. I remember, about twenty years ago, praying for patience. I prayed for years to be more understanding that things take time and to be able to enjoy the time it takes. Before I knew it I was hearing people say "I wish I had your patience".
Prayer answered.

I am praying for a lot of things these days. A job. Focus. Eyes to see where I can use this time to help others. Strength to carry the burdens of others for a while to give them a break. I reach out to one saint who seems to be the role model for achieving all of these. My patron Saint, St. Joseph.

St. Joseph must have been a very patient and content man. He kept his family safe, fed, sheltered and protected them from straying from their faith. As I moved my life more in line with my patron, I realized how much my own father is like St. Joseph.

You really don't get to appreciate the sacrifices of your parents until you can see their journey through adult eyes. To steer your life through difficult times and still keep your focus on God's big picture. What appeared to be an idyllic time for me as a child, turned out to be the result of my Dad putting in long hours at work during a bad economy, giving up personal needs and wants so us kids could have a little extra, and loving parents who made sure we all made it to church on Sunday to give thanks for all of our blessings.

Now, as we are all grown, Dad still keeps us focused. Losing Mom so suddenly, was devastating for us all, but for Dad it was also the loss of his best friend. But in true form, Dad has once again steered us through a difficult time. And I am sure we helped him also. Grief is a process that nurtures growth out of the darkness. And out of the darkness, we have once again grown as a family.

When I was a kid I remember putting my little feet into Dad's shoes, trying to imagine that some day I would fit into them. Those shoes still seem so much bigger than my feet will ever be. My feet are still figuratively growing as I continue to find my way down God's path. But Dad gave me a pretty clear map to follow my journey of life.

Happy Father's Day Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment